Thursday, August 7, 2008

J-E-T-S JETS JETS..... JETS???


Well it seems with a bit of foreshadowing I got my wish that this whole Brett Favre off-season circus will finally come to an end with his announcement to play for the New York Jets. Really? The Jets?

Now I live in the Tri-State area but I am and always will be a Giants fan so I could almost care less about this move, except for Fantasy Football purposes which definitely gives the Jets receivers and the offense overall a HUGE boost on draft boards.




Let's look at what the Jets have done here and how big of a move this actually is. First off, the Jets just went out and spent a ton of money on their offensive line this off-season picking up Alan Faneca to protect Pennington and/or Clemens this season but not for nothing, why spend all the money to protect a bottom tier QB who can throw the ball more then 20 yards in the air or a young un-proven, talentless (yeah I called him talentless) QB in Clemens who I just didn't see as the answer for the Jets and I'm going to go out on a limb here guys and say that I don't think the Jets thought that he was the answer for them either after this move.




So clearly this was going to be a work in progress for the Jets. But now they have a hall of fame QB again and I think we all remember what happened the last time the Jets had a HOF QB behind center. Now I'm not going to get crazy here and say the Jets are automatically Super Bowl bound this year, after all they still have to deal with the Patriots who probably want revenge on the entire league about as bad as any team has ever wanted to get revenge in the NFL ever after their horrific loss in the Super Bowl to my New York Giants.... no they aren't mine, shut up you know what I'm saying. But in that division with Buffalo just kind of standing still waiting for Jim Kelly and Thurman Thomas to return and the Miami Dolphin project under way the Jets can make a run here. They have definitely jumped a few spots on my power rankings for this season that's for sure.


In terms of Fantasy Football you have to like this move for a number of reasons, not only is there another top scoring QB back in the pool but this gives the Jets receivers an enormous boost of draft boards this season. Coles and Cotchery benefit from Favre's arrival. Now Coles was a favorite target of Penington because of those short slant patterns he runs oh so well but nevertheless I'd say that this move bumps Cotchery up into the low-20's for WR's, so maybe around Hines Ward.


Chad Pennington is not off fantasy football boards at all and in fact I think he actually gets a boost in rankings. See we knew exactly what we were going to get with Chad coming into this year about 3/4 quarters of a season of up and down football and then the inevitable Clemens take over when the Jets are no longer a contender. But Chad could go to Miami, KC or Chicago within a week and get a nice boost in value for fantasy purposes and again... not only does he become more valuable but he makes the players on whatever team he goes to more valuable.


I'll get into this more tomorrow. But for now... How bout those Jets huh?

No comments: