Sunday, August 17, 2008

8 for 8 in 8/8/08 GREAT!!!

Alright so maybe the lady in the back left doesn't look impressed but I sure as heck am! I know everyone has seen and heard about as much as they can handle of Michael Phelps but I just wanted to put my two cents in about this guy and what he has done.

I think its hard to really comprehend what this guy has actually done right now since we see a million events and a million differetn people winning gold medals but this dude just won 8 gold medals!! I mean how many of you can say that you have seen an individual accomplishment like this one?? Honestly, I haven't seen anything like this in my lifetime and I probably never will again unless 50 years from now Michael Phelps has a child and that child becomes an Olympic swimmer and he enters more events then dear old Dad did and wins them all and sets World Records in all but 1 of them. I mean come on that's just rediculous!!

As an American I will say that while I believe that these games have been slanted in favor of the Chinese althetes without question, I mean they have what 10 more gold medals then anyone else? That's just rediculous. Their gymnists were not 16 but they overlooked that. Their divers and swimmers may not have been of age either but who knows, I just think there is something fishy going on out there literally and it rubs me the wrong way. So while I sit here feeling slightly unsatisfied by this Olympics for a number of reasons Michael Phelps makes me proud to be an American yet again. Maybe this is why everyone in other countries don't like us but you know what, I don't care right now.

I think that this can only be compared to what Tiger Woods is currently doing but has not yet accomplished in regards to breaking Jack's record of most majors won. I would compare it to what Lance Armstrong did which was very very impressive as well but I don't know cycling just rubs me the wrong way with guys getting caught doping in the Tour de France, you have to think that Lance was on something when he won 7 in a row. Maybe he wasn't and if that's the case, then he deserves to be mentioned right up there with the best of them. But I think only Tiger can be put in the same sentence and Michael Phelps at this point because they both compete against the WORLDS best competition, not just the best America has to offer but the best in the WORLD. That to me makes all the difference.

In the end I still have to give the nod to Michael Phelps because this guy beat the worlds best 8 times in roughly one weeks time. I know Tiger can do that with golf but let us be serious for a second, can we really compare Golf to Swimming in terms of what is more physically demanding? Not even close. Congrats Michael, you've made us all proud, put swimming on the map again in America and have cemented yourself as probably the greatest United States Olympian of all time and quite possibly the greatest American athlete ever. My hat is off to you my friend.

No comments: