Monday, August 11, 2008

Alright so I was wrong...

Even though I try to stay on point with my fantasy stuff on here... rankings are coming shortly I promise, I felt the need to go back on a previous post in regards to the PGA Championship not being a tournament I could get into.... I lied.

On Sunday afternoon/evening before anything else worth watching was on television I found myself on the couch glued to the tigerless PGA Championship. I never thought in a million years that I would actually find myself getting involved in Major Golf Championships without Tiger Woods. The guys running the PGA Tour must be high fiving each other all over the club house. (Or where ever they hang out and high five each other.
But I would be curious to know how many of you actually watched the final few holes of this golf tournament and can honestly tell me that you were no the slightest bit interested in it... be honest with your comments. Harrington looking to become the most recent golfer since Tiger Woods to win both the British Open and the PGA Championship back to back (Tiger's done it twice) while also looking to step up and become the #2 golfer in the world while Tiger fixes his knee. That's all great and dandy for Irishman but I found myself rooting for Ben Curtis. That's right the guy rocking the Detroit Lions cap and playing in front of practically no one. He was in serious contention the whole way and I really thought he might pull this one out but he had a few really poor shots down the stretch that he ultimately couldn't rebound from. I mean what would it say about the competition in a major if you won down the stretch after drilling one into the snack bar.
Of course this wasn't the only drama of the tournament no... There was our Major less, clutch less, gutless, good looking, choking friend Sergio Garcia. Hey buddy, you had a rough go out there yesterday.
But you know what just when you thought Sergio was in a position on the 17th hole to take this major away from Harrington he choked. All he had to do was take the safe route and aim his shot to the left over the bunkers and get himself safely on the green with an outside change for a birdie but at the worst a par to keep him in it. Instead he left his grip, that was already slipping; totally slip away when he hit his shot into the water. Now I'm sure he thought he made the right decision and he really almost made it but he got way too risky with that play I think and ultimately flushed another major championship down the tubes. You want to talk about a guy that must be curled up in a corner in his million dollar mansion right now its this guy. Do I feel bad for him? Not really no. I mean here is your chance to capture a major without Tiger in the picture and you blew it. This was Spain's year and Sergio should have fed off that but he didn't and let himself down, his fans down and last but not least... his country down.



Harrington is quite a competitor but you have to ask yourself... What would Tiger have done?

No comments: