Wednesday, September 10, 2008

What a Week 1

Well what can you say about week #1 in the NFL?? I can say this much... The Bengals, Lions, 49er's, Raiders and Rams all STINK!!!! I mean what can you say about these teams? They all looked awful, their Defense was nowhere to be found and they looked like they made absolutely 0 improvements from last year. Its going to be a long season for these teams but it doesn't necessarily mean your going to have a long miserable fantasy season if you have some players on these teams.

Don't forget to drop me a line if you have a specific topic you want me to discuss. I'll make sure I get to it first.

But let's get to the injuries first. As everyone knows by now Tom Brady is done for the year. Tough break for all of you who reached for him in the first round, I must admit that I was tempted in 1 league but I held back and went with either a RB or WR. I saw Brady, Manning, Brees and Romo all go off fantasy draft boards very early this year and I'm not really sure why? I understand the upside that a lot of these guys had but did you honestly think Brady was going to repeat last years stats? Definitely not. As for the rest of those guys, I wouldn't waste even a 2nd round pick on a Quarterback unless we're talking about a 6 point passing touchdown league or a 2 QB league. Other then that, I waited in every draft I had.
I ended up with McNabb in two of my leagues which, after week 1 at least, doesn't look like such a bad pick to me. I got Big Ben in the other league I am in and the jury is still out after that amazing week 1 performance from Fast Willie Parker.


But in regards to the actual injury to Brady well obviously Cassell gets a boost up, I wouldn't recommend picking him up until we see what he can do in week 2 playing a full game. There are mixed reviews on this guy so hold off for another week if you can. But if your a Brady owner, I suggest you make a trade now or at least throw a few offers out there to see if someone is willing to trade you one of their decent back ups. I think this injury gives a huge boost to the NE running game, they are going to have to get the lead and hold it with their running game and defense. So this bumps up Maroney and Sammie Morris. As much as I stay away from talking about kickers, this might actually give Gostkowski a boost as well. As we may see some vintage Patriots football... a la Adam Vinatieri days. Don't trade for him or anything but if you got him, good for you.


Next on the injury train is Nate Burleson. Also done for the year... yikes. I had him as a bit of a sleeper in 1 of my leagues and he caught a TD last week so things were looking up. Expect some of the lesser known guys like Courtney Taylor to step up in his absence.

Up next we have Marques Colston: this one hurt me too. I'm sure it hurt a lot of you as well as he was probably your #1 WR on a few teams. He's out 4 to 6 weeks which is certainly not peanuts but hey, at least he's not out for the season. This gives a huge boost to Jeremy Shockey, David Patten and Robert Meachem. If Patten and/or Meachem are out there on the waiver wire in your league, PICK EM UP! Trust me you won't regret it, one of them will stick.

Marion Barber has sore ribs but is expect to play this Sunday, just keep an eye on him as the week goes on to see what his status is on the injury report. If he's good to go then start him in all formats. Keep an eye on Felix Jones though, I know he got a lot of garbage time in week 1 but he looked good and believe me, Jerry Jones and the Cowboys noticed what he did, expect a slight bump in his work load I think. Tony Romo got some stitches on his chin but he'll be fine. Tough match-up against the Eagles D in week 2 but man that cowboy offense looked like a machine in week 1.

It should not have been a surprise to you that Willis Mcgahee was going to sit week 1, all the major sites had this one pegged well ahead of time so you should have done your homework there if you owned him. So if you started him, shame on you. Ray Rice looked good and will be a solid player to own going forward especially for Mcgahee owners.

Vince Young looked awful, official word is that he has a sprained ego.... and an MCL. I give up on Vince Young and you should too. If you want to keep him on your bench because you love him too much to drop him that's fine, but I told you so. He looked absolutely awful, his team won, but that's mostly because of former East Carolina superstar in the making Chris Johnson. He looks AWSOME WITH A CAPITAL A BABY! Keeper league darling Chris Johnson had 15 carries for 93 yards and 3 catches for 34 yards and a TD, NICE!!

I'll be back tomorrow with another update and some potential break out candidates in week 2.

3 comments:

The Visionary said...

I don't think the 49ers looked that terrible. Their offense struggled a bit as they turned the ball over 4 times they also fumbled a kick return. The defense only gave up 20 points with all those turnovers. The 49ers defense looked fairly good in my book. They are an improved football team that will win at least 8 games, especially when O'sullivan settles in. He was a little bit jumpy in his first start...

The Visionary said...

And what about the Browns? They looked pretty awful in week one, no?

The Visionary said...

I told ya the 49ers weren't that bad of a team. They looked much better in week 2 as they reduced the turnovers and O'sullivan settled in nicely. However, the Rams, Bengals, and Browns still look pretty bad. How about that terrible call in the Chargers game.

-The Visionary